May 2, 2011

The Last Vacation Post

First, I have to talk about gratitude.  I mean, the kind of thankful heart that makes your chest swell, kind of gratitude.  I have the most amazing extended family, thanks to my marriage.  My mother and father-in-law have always treated me as a daughter and they adore our children.  And, it was their idea to take this trip.  To make these memories together as a family.  And. I am T.H.A.N.K.F.U.L.  They are a blessing.




Our last day was spent at Seaworld. 





The first thing we did was get on a ride that soaked us all.  So we spent most of the morning trying to get dry... actually parts of my attire were damp clear into the afternoon.  Cooper was so brave when it came to rides.  I really was amazed.  The look of pure joy on his face going on these thrilling rides was so worth it.  And he and Cory react the same way to the adrenaline surge.  Both giggle like school girls.  It is music to my ears.  This man and his boy just feeling pure delight.



You can see Judy in the middle of the boat and Cory and Cooper are right behind her.  I went on the 1st trip down.  Once was plenty.  Cooper insisted on sitting in the very front seats.  Needless to say, we were completely drenched.  Completely.

Joy.


After that ride we had to go check out some animals.  Seaworld is so fun for that reason.  There are thrills, but there is also so much to see and learn.  And we all love animals, fish, reptiles (ok, reptiles not really my favorite, but whatever.)



Penguins and the Puffins.


Wow.  4 year old moment.  Look at that face!




*Ahem... 
You would think my darling husband could have taken a picture of the sharks floating all around us and would have avoided the ummmm, well the soaked parts that I was sporting.  I am really glad I didn't know that is what my backside looked like while I was walking around that park all morning.  Believe me, it took ALL morning to dry.  Thanks honey, for the keepsake of this photo!


Oh!  There are the sharks!


We saw some fun shows.  Dolphins and whales are so majestic.  I am always just in awe watching these great big, larger than life creatures.  I, of course, didn't get any photos of these shows.  I was busy taking care of Carter, who really could care less about these shows.  And it doesn't dawn on me to give Cory the camera while I am up walking around the back with the baby.  So, again, I will hope my mother-in-law got some pictures.  O-well.


I have to mention this was also the hottest day while we were there.  It was very high 80's, lower 90's with crazy humidity.  It rained a little, but not enough to take the edge off.  I was honestly glad for my wet garments most of the day.  This boy got tired and slept.  We were all tired.  The heat can suck all the life out of you.


Goofy boy.


We had to end the day with seeing alligators and picking out a souvenir.  The rule while we were gone was the souvenir shopping didn't happen until the very end of the visit.  Cooper did pretty well with this rule.  This last park, though, wow.  We were in the shop looking at everything 12 times, before Coop could make a decision.  And, when he did it was the clearance $1.99 wallet that came home with us.  Yippee!!! 

It was a great day at another great park.  We were all anxious to get headed home.  Well, not the boys.  They could have done without all the driving.  I felt their pain, believe me.  We decided to leave that evening and get at least a few hours behind us.  I am not exaggerating when I say every time we loaded into the van, Carter started crying as soon as he saw the carseat.  That boy is still having a meltdown almost every single time we load up to go anywhere, even now that we are home.  We have taken all the fun out of car riding for him.  Not that he really "loved" it before.

Getting home felt like it took forever.  We took one route getting there, and another to get home.  You know, see more states, more scenery, try to make it less boring.  It was long.  In all, we were in Kansas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Tennessee, Alabama, Florida, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Texas.  Not bad for 10 days.

When we did finally get home, there were 6 exhausted, thankful, weary travelers that were oh. so. happy. to be in their own homes and beds.  My children literally ran around our home like it was a long lost friend.  Just giggling and looking at all of their things.  It was a joy to see their smiles that had really been fleeting for the 2.5 days of driving. 

I will never forget this trip.  Carter won't remember it.  Cooper will remember the really exciting, really "memorable" moments, but he too won't remember it all.  You can't under-estimate the time you spend with your family.  Your husbands, wives, children, parents, in-laws.  There were trying moments.  There were meltdowns and breakdowns.  There was joy.  There was laughter.  There was time spent with some of the greatest loves' in my life.  I am a sentimental mush thinking back on this.  I am so thankful.  So blessed.







Love & Laughter,
abby

No comments:

Post a Comment