I am contemplating a big change for next school year.
Really big.
We have been looking further into the homeschooling option.
I know there are lots of opinions out there. I know it is a monumental choice and an incredible commitment.
Let's be honest. Public school... well, it's not perfect. And I grow more dis-enchanted with it the "wiser" I become and the longer my oldest is in school. (I am not bashing the teachers! Some of my dearest friends are teachers. And I adore them and am in awe of what they do.)
He is unhappy. He comes home wiped out and disagreeable and incredibly emotional. Often.
Homeschooling looks better and better.
The question...
What opinions are there on program options??
I want to be educated in this before the decision is made. I want to know that I have chosen the best option for my babies. I want the experience to be inspiring for us all.
To be honest, I don't know tons about it. I have poo-pooed the idea countless times because I didn't feel "qualified". I need to catch up and embrace my inner teacher goddess and I want to be informed.
Those who have gone before me, or done any homework on the topic... bless me with your knowledge.
Many, Many, Many thanks!
Love & Laughter,
abby
Hey Abby! I've been homeschooling my kiddos for a few years now (my oldest is in 3rd and my youngest is in kindergarten). Anyway, there are TONS of options and it all depends on how you want your "school" to be. If you want you can email me with specific questions (melinda@donleyfarms.com) and I'll do my best to answer. Melinda (Ray) Donley
ReplyDeleteHi Abby! I just started homeschooling this year. Paxon is in kindergarten and it's been an interesting journey. We are still finding our groove, but if you decide that's what you want to do there is a homeschooling group in town that does things together and meets once a month for mom-to-mom support. Last week we did Tractor Club Days and today we had a Catapult day in the country at one of the mother's houses. We use a hodge podge of curriculum and are still really 'finding our way' so to speak. We use Sonlight, Saxon Phonics, The Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading and a book full of math games. There are so many curriculums and styles of homeschooling. The internet is a fabulous place to find information and you just have to take the plunge to figure it out, I guess. (We are still plunging and figuring, but I'm really happy with it.) If you want to chat more or want more info on the homeschool group email me katilee_08@hotmail.com! Good luck with your decision!
ReplyDeleteAbby,
ReplyDeleteMy mother-in-law home schools Jillian. Feel free to call or come by and see how she does it and see what you think. We think it's great and you have a lot of control over what you do in a day. If your are interested, get with your hubby, he knows how to get in touch with me and we can get it set up.
Chad Gordon