March 23, 2011

Cooper-isms

Oh, our dear Cooper. 
He is full of one-liners.
I can give you some examples...

When he was only 18 months, he told Cory, "Daddy, have patience, I'm not done."  My mouth fell to the floor. 18 months!

When he was 2, he told some friends, "I feel, disappointment..." after being asked to use his words to convey how he was feeling instead of having a meltdown.

I will ask him "Comprende`???", and he ALWAYS responds, "Don't call me Cooper-neigh."  ( I don't know how to spell that in Spanish, by the way.  WHY did I take French?  I never use it.)

He recently told Cory and I after seeing us embrace and give each other a quick kiss, "Stop it guys, you make me feel like I should be married!" 

He told me once he was disappointed that I was born with ears, because I can hear all the naughty things he does.

He once asked why daddy needed a "new girl" after we spoke about getting a new grill.  I said, "not a new girl, daddy has me!"  He said, "Well, maybe he wants a mermaid..."

He constantly has a joke.  Mostly not funny, but the way he tells them, oh, so funny.

He has the most infectious laugh.  You can be totally cranky, and to hear him get a big belly laugh going, snaps you right out of it.

I have been told so many times that I should be writing down all of his "isms".  And, I totally agree.  One day, I need to do that.  He is such a character.  I can't even think of a quarter of the funny things he has said in the last four and a half years. 

I have to remember those funny, silly moments.  There are days that I lose my patience with him.  "I hate" and "I can't" are the biggest 4-letter-words in our house right now with him.  He has so little patience with himself and with others sometimes.

And then, I think back...  To a tiny 5 pound baby who, only days old, had a tube stuffed down his throat for several days right before and after having open heart surgery.  And he would cry.  Oh, he would cry.  But, you couldn't hear a sound.  That tube prevented any sound from coming up.  I was so thankful to hear the cry after so many days.  Seeing the tears rolling down his face with no sound to accompany them, heartbreaking.

This boy.  This silly, wonderful, trying boy makes my life so full.  So complete.  So remarkable.  I hope one day he feels the same way about me.  I adore him. 








Love & Laughter,
abby

1 comment:

  1. LOVED reading the Cooper-isms!! They made me laugh out loud =) What a character, and what a blessing he is. Seems like just yesterday I was following along with his journey as that tiny baby battling open heart surgery. It is so wonderful to follow him now, as a happy, healthy and totally hilarious little man!!

    ReplyDelete